Tuesday, November 07, 2006

At tonight's rehearsal for An Ideal Husband, the director and two of the actors decided that it would be brilliant for the butler to speak the stage directions that describe each character upon their entrance. So now I don't just stand there doing nothing the whole time...I stand there doing nothing most of the time, except at the very beginning when I describe the decor. And then I walk up to actors frozen in tableau and describe their faces, bodies, clothing, and personalities. It's Oscar Wilde meets Thornton Wilder!

I'm the only person who thinks my Wilde/Wilder joke is funny, aren't I?

4 comments:

clairehelene7 said...

I half-snorted, half-laughed at it. :)

How long will you be in Paris, again? :)

Dan said...

I will be in France until the middle of July. The last thing I'm doing is going to a conference in Montpellier for a week.

Which reminds me, I have to call STA Travel and change my plane ticket from April to July.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

I'm going to pass on commenting on the Wilde/r, but I think you should know that in my first job out of college, I was on crew for An Ideal Husband, and when the director decided there should be a maid to come onstage and collect sherry classes. In the end I began the show by running onstage to whisper something in Chiltern's ear, and then I had to curtsey to each character in turn. I was terrified I would drop my tray of glasses mid-curtsey. At least you don't have to work a fly-system in a corset.