Thursday, January 11, 2007

There is a fancy Vietnamese restaurant not far from my apartment. Tonight I was walking home from a kind of boring lecture on Diderot, and I passed this restaurant for the umpteenth time and actually looked at the menu. They had Pho, but it was awfully expensive. It was raining, and I was cold. And I have also really been missing Chicago lately. I thought that a bowl of nice Vietnamese soup would cure both of those ills. But it was really expensive (8.50 Euro), so I decided to keep walking, in spite of my intense desire for Pho.

Then when I got to the corner the light changed, so I couldn't cross the street. I took this as a sign that I should eat Pho. Beef, so that I could have a pitcher of red wine with it. It was so good. It was just like being at Pho 777 on Argyle, except the decor was more like Pho 999. And it was fancier than both, with a much better cut of beef in the soup. And I probably wouldn't have been drinking wine in Chicago. Maybe bubble tea. Anyway, it was just what I needed. So now that I know that Pho is possible in Paris (hello, history of French colonization), maybe I need to look for some cheaper Vietnamese restaurants. I'm sure there are some in the 13th arondissement.

No comments: