Thursday, June 21, 2007

I have had a very busy couple of weeks. After returning from Zurich, I took a sudden trip to Philadelphia to see my grandfather, who is not doing so well. We had a nice visit, but the trip there and back was sort of awful. I had to connect in Detroit, and it was problematic at both ends. I got into Philadelphia at 1:00 AM, after several hours of delays. But the way back was much worse. My flight to Detroit sat on a runway in Philadelphia for two and a half hours. When we landed in Detroit, I had missed my connection to Paris by four minutes. So had four other people. The airline was unconcerned, and wasn't going to pay for hotel rooms because the delay was due to weather. So I found flights to London and Frankfurt, and asked about those. There were no seats on the Frankfurt flight. They couldn't get me from London to Paris. I decided to just go to London and take the Chunnel, which turned out to be the right decision. They told me my bag would go to Paris, but never told me I had to file a claim when I landed in London. It seemed illogical to me to file a lost luggage report with British Airways, since they had probably never touched my bag. But that's what I eventually did. It's been a week, and I still don't have my bag. If I never get it, I will only really miss my dress shoes. In any case, I will never fly Northwest again, unless my final destination is Detroit.

On the bright side, I did get to spend a lovely afternoon in London. I went to the exhibit at Shakespeare's Globe, and the price of admission included a tour of the archeological site of the Rose theatre. Our guide had pink hair and a fascinating ideological perspective: Shakespeare's company was better than Henslowe's because it was an artistic collective, rather than a top-down business model.

Laura left last Friday. I miss her. But now Jesse is here visiting. We have been going non-stop since she got here. I have managed to spend some time in the library, though.

I turned in my Paris Program report and got a nice email back from the program administrator, thanking me for my "great" report and saying that it sounded like I had had a wonderful year. Which is true, and it's also a very supportive and encouraging thing to say. Sometimes it is nice to get some encouragement.

4 comments:

clairehelene7 said...

Dan your whirlwind trip sounds awful (except for the London part, oh how I love that city).

I hope you're well. Your year in Paris has sounded like it treated you well. Which is good, but I'm selfish and it will nice to see you again!

Dan said...

Hi Claire,

Yes, I have had a really good year in Paris. I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice to stay longer, but I do miss Chicago and I look forward to seeing you and all my other friends there. I'll be back July 20. Then I'm going to a conference in New Orleans from the 25-29.

clairehelene7 said...

Oooh! Let's have dinner with Elaine, George and Jacob!

Anonymous said...

I second that dinner motion! But, if all goes well, I'll probably make everyone call me doctor all evening... Can y'all handle that?

Dan, only you could find a bright side to your horrible airline story! But it sounds great. (The London part, I mean, not the delays.) And I'm amazed: even LOT (Polish air) treated me better than that when everything was so messed up last time I flew. Are U.S. airlines truly the worst in the world? I think maybe so.