Monday, October 16, 2006

“Crepurritos”

I made crepes tonight! It was surprisingly easy. It’s just flour, eggs, milk, water, butter, and salt. I was inspired to make them because yesterday I had fried eggs on the crepe pan. Laura saw the dirty crepe pan and asked me if I had made crepes, and I had to admit to my utter laziness…I had used the crepe pan because I didn’t feel like washing the frying pan she had used to make her eggs earlier. But then today I had crepes on my mind, so I looked up a recipe online. I went to the store to buy milk and flour, and then came back and started mixing ingredients. Then I let the batter sit for an hour before I started cooking the crepes. The recipe was supposed to make 8 crepes, but I only managed five, which was more like four and a half because I failed miserably at flipping the first one and ate most of the forlorn (but tasty) little pieces while I was cooking the others. Laura thought it would be nice if we each had one savory crepe and one sweet crepe. For the savory angle, I came up with “crepurritos”—red beans, cheese, tomatoes, and onions. They were very tasty. For our sweet crepes, Laura used store-brand Nutella (which tastes just the same) and I used peach jam. I have to say that I feel very proud of my crepe-making.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Ah, intercultural cuisine! Now you have made me think about actual Mexican food, and that makes me long for Angel's.