Thursday, September 13, 2007

I am reading Carol Channing's autobiography. It is hilarious. She offers the best critique of George Bernard Shaw that I have ever read:

You know it has always been said that art should never be didactic, that then it isn't art anymore. But Shaw argued constantly that art should always be didactic. The result in any Shaw play is that Epifania (my part) [in The Millionairess] would say to her suitor, excellently played by John McMartin, lines to the effect of "I love you," and McMartin would say, "I love you, too. Will you marry me?" Epifania would say, "Yes. But first let me discuss income tax." The monologues go on for three pages. Or "I'm leaving you." "Oh, please, don't go." "I won't go until I tell you how I feel about organized religion." This one goes on for four pages.


From Just Lucky I Guess: A Memoir of Sorts. (New York: Simon and Schuster, 2002), p. 176.

No comments: